Foster Care Fortnight takes place on Monday 8 to Sunday 21 May 2017, but what is it? The fortnight is a campaign that runs each year by The Fostering Network. It is designed to raise the profile of foster care, share information on how fostering changes lives and to encourage people who have thought about fostering to pick up the phone or send a message and apply to becoming a foster carer.
During the Foster Care Fortnight, you will probably see a lot more articles, blog posts, videos and hear more stories about fostering. It’s a great time to do lots of research into fostering, share your own stories and find out more about what a difference fostering makes to people, both the children and the carers.
How Can You Help the Foster Care Fortnight Campaign?
One of the main purposes of the campaign is to raise the profile of fostering. There are several ways you can help The Fostering Network achieve their goals:
- Join the Thunderclap. Click on this link and set up the automatic sharing of a message across your Facebook, Twitter and/or Tumblr. This is really easy to do and it helps to make an impact on these social networks and reach a wider audience. Everyone will send the message at the same time, increasing the chance of the campaign to trend on social media.
- Make a donation to the cause.
- Visit the Foster Care Network website and download the poster or share the #ProudtoFoster placard.
- If you’re a foster carer consider sharing your own story on your social networks or with your friends. Provide your friends with information on websites to visit to learn more about becoming a foster carer.
- Pick up the phone and give us a call if you’ve been thinking about fostering in Worcestershire, Birmingham and Stoke on Trent.
- Like, Share and Comment on stories and posts you see about fostering on the social networks you use.
- Fundraise for the campaign. There are several Foster Walks around the UK that you can join. Alternatively, you could organise your own fundraiser. Ideas include holding a Foster Bake, a Disco, Fancy Dress at work day…Your options are endless.
The Fostering Network is the UK’s leading fostering charity. They are committed to the difference foster care makes to the lives of young people and children. They work with everyone that is involved in fostering children and provide support and motivation to improve foster care for everyone.