Our mission is to provide children and young people with a happy home life and positive outcomes through looking after the well-being and development of our foster carers with integrity, respect and understanding.
Our advice to any one considering a career in fostering or any existing carers seeking to move to another agency, is to carry out your research, take your time and explore different fostering providers. It is important you feel “right” about the fostering agency to which you apply.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why chose Foundation Fostering?
We know that the welfare of a child is always paramount however we are acutely aware that the welfare of the foster carer is inextricably linked.
Who can apply to be a foster carer?
Contrary to some assumptions that people make, you can foster if:
- You are single, or in a steady relationship. You don’t have to be married.
- If you rent your home. You do not have to be an owner occupier.
- If you work full time, provided that you can look after the child(ren) in your care.
- You have children of your own.
- You do not have children of your own.
- You come from any ethnic or religious background. Children from all backgrounds need fostering and a wide range of suitable families is essential to enable them to get the best match of their culture and a familiar environment for them to thrive.
- You are gay. Your sexual orientation is not a barrier to fostering.
- You are over 40. There is no upper age limit for foster carers.
- You live in a small house. Provided that the foster child would have their own bedroom, without disadvantaging a child of your own, then the overall size of your accommodation need not be a problem.
What qualities are we looking for in foster carers?
You do not need any particular educational background or qualifications, as appropriate training and support will be provided.
How will I be assessed?
You will attend a three day group preparation session with other people who are applying.
Your suitability to foster will be assessed. This can take between 4 to 8 months. The assessment is designed to gain as much information about your skills, motivation, experience and knowledge.
Your application will be sent to the fostering panel, which will recommend if you can become a foster carer.
The final approval is made by the Agency Decision Maker.
The time taken for a child or young person to come to live with you will depend on the type of fostering you have been approved for and the process of ‘matching’ a child or young person with you. Foundation Fostering will keep you regularly updated.
What training and support will I receive?
- Foundation Fostering Support Services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- A programme of formal and informal training throughout your career
- Have a personal development plan
- Receive a Foster Carer Handbook
- Have the support of a mentor
- As a family have opportunities to take part in Foundation Fostering activities
- Monthly supervision and support from a qualified and experienced Social Worker
- Regular Carer support group meetings
- As a family you will have 14 nights respite care
- Educational consultation from Foundation Fostering Education Adviser
- Access to Psychotherapist consultation providing advice/support
- A generous weekly allowance
- Membership of The Fostering Network
I’m already a foster carer with another agency, can I transfer?
How much allowance will I receive?
- A maintenance element for living costs. This maintenance element is based on The Fostering Network recommended rate, and;
- A fee/reward element for the work undertaken as a foster carer.
Payments are calculated on a weekly basis and paid fortnightly. As a rough guide, in total you will receive between £400 and £600 per week for each child or young person you care for.
As a foster carer, HMRC will also treat you as being self-employed and a self assessment form will need to be completed at the end of each financial year.
Make an enquiry
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to send us a message below. We aim to reply within 24 hours.
0345 222 1007
Acorn Business Centre, Roberts End, Hanley Swan, Worcestershire, WR8 0DN